Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
skitz
Fresh Meat

Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? Empty
PostSubject: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 9:29 pm

In just 5 days its all ready made over $200M
Star Trek is only at $240M in 8 weeks
Night at the Museum 2 $146M in 6 weeks

the only movies i see battling it for this year top earner are
Harry Potter
Ice Age 3

Honorable mentions
New Moon (god i hope not)
G.I. Joe (sorry but looks to much like Sigma 6 rather than old school)
Alvin and the Chipmunks 2

But come on Transformers 2 did what it needed to took took the first movie and ramped it up 200%
Back to top Go down
Craigzilla
Hunter of Dead
Craigzilla

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 am

I think the only part I disagree with you on is Alvin and the Chipmunks 2.

It doesn't have dick of a chance.

I agree about GIJoe. It looks really disappointing. I'll wait for it on Netflix.
Back to top Go down
http://www.craigdeboardart.com
skitz
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 am

I added Alvin 2 because the first did 200m in the us in theaters 350m worldwide then was in the top 10 dvd sales for 2008. and it is the big family movie out x-mas.

G.I. Joe trailer looked way better when i went and seen transformers than it does on the internet or on tv.
Back to top Go down
Craigzilla
Hunter of Dead
Craigzilla

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Holy crap I didn't know Alvin did so well. Sequels to movies like that rarely do good though. Just look at the Garfield movies.
Back to top Go down
nebulous
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 am

The funny thing that I heard when I was hanging out with a few writers, one of who works at Rogers Video said that there are many movies which may not do too well at the box office but do extremely well in DVD sales--I believe the example that was used at around that time was the first Punisher movie which wasn't really all that bad!!!! I am actually not too surprised that Alvin and other movies like Garfield do real well because generally kids movies will tend to outsell anything else especially more adult oriented ones. As far as GI Joe is concerned, quite honestly speaking, the feel that I get from watching the trailer on both the t.v. and the net is that it will be more or less on par with Transformers in regards to the action/and special effects, however, I don't think that it will be as funny for some strange reason. I also believe that the storylines will be pretty similar--that is not overly complexed (i.e. you have the autobots vs. the decipticons whose war has spilled onto the planet Earth--simple enough--in GI Joe you have the GI Joe army unit fighting Cobra the terrorist organization--not really much in regards to story if you ask me. Nevertheless, the real beauty can come from the back stories like those of Storm Shadow, Destro, and the Baronness--in which I have a sneaky feeling will be lacking due to the emphasis of blowing things up. I would also love to see a well laid out Cobra Commander plotline which may emerge as the franchise keeps churning the films out, however, this is fairly easily done over a series as they did with the cartoons leading up to the first animated film where cobra commander was put on trial for his continual failure--gotta love Nembisus Enforcer and Golubulus. I recently saw GI Joe Valor but was bit disappointed that Storm Shadow looked like he got killed in that one. I have a sneaky feeling that GI Joe will actually rival Transformers but Harry and Twillight will be the big earners. Will Potter finally break into the one billion dollar mark for the sixth film? I think that it may actually just reach it!!!

Cool
Back to top Go down
Craigzilla
Hunter of Dead
Craigzilla

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 am

I don't think Potter will do all that well. It used to be one of those movies where both kids and adults could enjoy it (adults because it was reminiscent of Lord of the Rings in an odd way and kids because the main characters were...well....kids.) Now that Harry and the gang are all grown up, you won't see as many kids caring. In addition to that, this is like what the 87th movie now in the series. At some point people are going to start to get bored.

As for GIJoe I don't think it will do as well as Transformers. While I enjoy Dennis Quaid as much as anyone else (Enemy Mine is still one of my favorite movies), the younger audience from kids to teens (and even some college students) have no idea who the old guy is, where as Shilo LaBoof (or whatever his name is) is a household name now.
Back to top Go down
nebulous
Fresh Meat

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 1:48 am

I can't disagree with the logic that you have used for both Harry Potter and Transformers. With Harry Potter, it is fairly likely that the younger kids may not see it because it has become a little bit more grown up, especially with the romance thing going on. But then again, it may actually appeal to the tweens who are looking for that type of stuff so there is probably going to be some sort of equal offset. Nevertheless, this being the sixth movie, you are also right and mentioning that because there has been many in the series that people may eventually get weary of it, however, I believe as what was said about Batman, that it wouldn't really matter how many of them keep coming out just as long as they are done well. All in all, it will be a tough one to call. I think Potter will get close to one billion and at best exceed it by a bit at worse I don't think that it will earn less than 925 million.

In regards to Transformers I didn't know that Denis Quaid is in it. Quite honestly, I really know him by name more so than movies although didn't he do that strange sounding squid movie (darn I forgot the name)--it caused some ripples. And knowing nothing else, I would imagine he probably may get the role of someone like Duke or some in charge just like Jon Voigt got in transformers, which by the way he does a good job--is there some sort of parallel going on here???? Shia Laboeuf was well unknown until the first Transformers, pretty well the same with Megan Fox, although I caught her in an episode of Two and a Half Men and boy was she really cute and hot!!! I wouldn't have known who she was back then without first learning about who she is in Transformers. The actors in GI Joe are probably in the same bout but if the movie does well, which I really believe it will, they will also gain a name for themselves ( I think by looks alone the Baronness and Scarlett have a good advantage going for them providing that they don't get either type casted or are a one hit wonder). I don't believe that GI Joe will beat Transformers but I think it will actually get a fairly good haul simply because of people like us who watched the show growing up (nostalgia) if you will, but with this said, the comparison isn't really all that equal because to be perfectly fair, Transformers still had a lot of cartoons going on after the original--Transformers with Koji, Beast Wars, Armada, and now the animated version--GI Joe, ah--a few movies but no real cartoon series so big advantage Transformers! Nevertheless, stylistcally they seem to be the same in terms of action and visual affects.
Back to top Go down
Craigzilla
Hunter of Dead
Craigzilla

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 8:43 am

No Dennis Quaid wasn't in Transformers. I'm saying, that while he's an amazing actor (I just watched Enemy Mine again last night. Such a good movie) he doesn't have the star power of the Transformers actors.

Personally I can't wait to see the movie, although I am surprised the director isn't returning for a third flick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?   Will any movie this year top Transformers 2? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will any movie this year top Transformers 2?
Page 1 of 1